Would like feedback/thoughts/ on foot drop and surgery

This forum is for general discussion on FOOT DROP injuries.

Moderators: TNPIModerator2, TNPIModerator1, Contact, Chicago BPI Community

Would like feedback/thoughts/ on foot drop and surgery

Postby Thumper » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:33 pm

Greetings to all, I recently found this site and was pleased to know there is hope things can be done to improve the outcome of foot drop. In Nov 2005 I was left with severe foot drop due to a nerve root compression caused by disc herniation at L4-5- S1, unfortunately in my case I was bounced from service to service and did not receive surgery for 22days from the intial foot drop. I honestly have been floored by the magnitude at which this injury has changed by daily living activites.. I am also a medical professional and have found this foot drop to be not only physically taxing but mentally taxing. I have been in physical therapy since december 3x a week, along with daily use of a neuromuscular stim unit 3x a day and have had some small improvement. I have to wear a brace when outside the home and activites around the house as well as sleep with a brace at nite. I have secondary back pain that mostly is attributed to the poor gait I have been left with. I am hoping to go back to work this month and regain some resemblance of life before foot drop.. :D I would like to hear from anyone concerning their experiences, types of braces used and particularly anyone that has had the foot drop surgery.... thanks all for listening...... be well
thumper
Thumper

Foot Drop

Postby baldhill » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:03 pm

I have foot drop also, as a result of a total hip replacement. Peroneal neuropathy I think, although my doctors have never used that term. I wear a brace outside the home and get along okay as long as I don't move too quickly.
I'm frustrated that the doctors are asking me just to wait and see five months after the problem occurred.
I saw a story in the WSJ 2/21/06 that discussed nerve transplants, transfers, grafts and nerve tubes. They interviewed Dr. Allan Belzberg from Johns Hopkins. I called him but he didn't return the call.
Anybody have any experience with any of these techniques? Oh, and my advice is, [u]never[/u] use an HMO (like Kaiser Permanente) for any major surgery.
baldhill

Return to General Foot Drop