Nerve damage due to Schwannoma

This forum is about Brachial plexus injury discussion. You can write anything related to Brachial plexus Injury on this forum.

Moderators: TNPIModerator2, TNPIModerator1, Contact, Chicago BPI Community

Nerve damage due to Schwannoma

Postby nelliep51 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:39 am

Anyone out there had a schwannoma (mine was within the spinal column C3-5) nerve roots lost in operation resulting in problems with arm and hand movements and sensations?
nelliep51

schwannoma

Postby defaithed55 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:49 pm

nelliep51

hi nellie. 2 years ago I had a schwannoma removed from my neck. I it was 9.5cm long ang 5.5cm wide, wrapped around my corarted artery and my jugular vein. when I had the surgery I did not relize how serious it was. I was told it was a simple procedure and I would be fine. I didn't research the subject or expierienced nerve surgeons. unfortunetly the surgeon cut the sympathetic nerve in my neck causing droopage in my left eye and lips. this has improved over the past 2 years. in another traumatic event this past july I was in a bad car accident. I suffered from a brachial plexus injury. I have no use or feeling in my left arm. I avulsed the nerves C5-C8. the doctor who did my recent surgery relized the schannoma had a big part in my injury. if it were not for the schwannoma my injury may have not been that bad. what was your case? do you have any movement in your hand? who did your surgery? please respond at your conveinence..

carri
defaithed55

Hi Carri - re schwannoma

Postby nelliep51 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:34 am

Good to get a reply from you.
My operation was 5yrs ago in Aberdeen, Scotland which is also a teaching hospital so I had a high standard of care.
Pre operation I was in severe pain for 2yrs, lost the use of my legs, and was in a wheelchair. Because I have arthritis the tumour was not considered but once found by MRI I was operated on within 9 days.
However, as the schwannoma was strangling my spinal column, root nerves had to be cut out to achieve 95% removal of the tumour.
As a result my right arm feels as I am permanently having a blood pressure check and the sensation is as if I am recovering from a bad burn.
Limited use of thumb and fore finger.
I learnt to write with my left hand, but 5yrs down the line my left hand is arthritic and I suffer from a repetitive strain with over use. I have constant pain in both hands and try and share the workload between the two. This is something that my consultant is reviewing at present and I am due another MRI to see if the regrowth of the tumour is part of the cause. I have learnt to live with the neck pains and know the signs when I need to relax muscles.
You have been so unlucky having a car accident on top of surgery for tumour.
Delighted to hear from you.
Nellie
nelliep51

schwannoma

Postby defaithed55 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:55 am

nellie

it is great to hear from you. sorry about the unfortuent luck. it seems like some of us never get a break. how old are you if you don't mind me asking? i didn't even consider how tired my right hand may get in a few years from overuse. well i hope everything works out okay and you have no regrowth of a tumor. can you use your legs now? i wish i could give you advise on how to deal with the pain. i'm still working on that myself, besides trying to keep busy not much else works. i think this forum is great. being able to talk to people all over the world with similar injuries, it let's us know we're not alone. hopefully i think i will not get another tumor. when i had the surgery they said they got it all. i'm glad you were at a good hospital. by the way scottland must be amazing. well it really was great to hear from you please write back anytime.

carri
defaithed55

Postby nelliep51 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:22 pm

Hi Carri
I have got the use of my legs again but walk slowly, and I am in full time work (although I have an assistant who works 25hrs per week through access to work programme over here who helps me with certain aspects of my work). I am an operations manager so it is a stressful job at times. I was 50 when I had op and will be 56 this year.
In some ways I am fortunate as my consultant thought I would have another operation this year but hopefully it won't come to that as the residue tumour is slow growing.

I agree it is great to have a forum to meet others - I feel there is lots of information for malignant tumours and not so much for benign tumours but the problems can be just as severe to live with.

Regards
Nellie
nelliep51

Postby defaithed55 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:45 am

hi nellie;

i hope your next surgery goes well. please keep me informed. i myself will probally have another surgery in the next few months, to try and restore some hand and arm function. man i really wish i could win the lottery now, just to pay for half the medical bills. it gets outrageous, but i'm sure thats no new news to you. well good luck with everything, and please stay in touch anytime.

carri
defaithed55

cheap search engine optimisation

Postby Bluttysevynen » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:12 am

Optimum Future team offers you a safe, friendly and powerful SEO tool to boost your rankings! This is your best way to get qualitative and natural Links avoiding Panda & Penguin! Yes! Sites dominating the top money making keywords are using those networks! Start increasing your Affiliate Comissions, Product Sales & Adsense Income TODAY! Visit here: how to get high pr backlinks
Bluttysevynen

Return to General Brachial Plexus Injury