Surgery-caused winging scapula

This forum is for Winging Scapula general discussion. You can post anything related to winging scapula / Long Thoracic Nerve Injury on this forum.

Moderators: TNPIModerator2, TNPIModerator1, Contact, Chicago BPI Community

Surgery-caused winging scapula

Postby kathy » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:46 pm

Is there anyone else out there who has awakened from surgery, only to find that they have a radiculopathy and a winging scapula?

I have lost my career, my comfort and my life as I knew it because of a surgery-related injury.

Kathy
kathy

Postby wendy308 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:57 am

Kathy, The same thing happened to me. I had a C5-6 disectomy fusion over a year ago. This has been the worst year of my life. I was going to go to texas and have surgery with dr. nath. But I ended up finding someone at john Hopkins which is closer and worked out much better for me. I go in 1 week. I'm so nervous.I'm sick of taking opain meds. The surgeon who did this to me won't admit it. Hopefully this other surgeon can help me and deterimining what happened. I do have a lawyer. It is a very hard case when THEY are the ones who dictate the reports.How did yours happen?? We could keep in touch and I'll let you know what happens next week. If I can help anyone with this problem i would love to.
Wendy
LTN injury, Winged Scapula 11-05
wendy308

Good luck!

Postby kathy » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:41 pm

Hi Wendy,
I'm sorry for the delay in responding. I was out of town and away from my computer for a few days.

Are you by any chance having surgery with Dr. Lee Dellon at Johns Hopkins? He is a noted neurosurgeon with whom I have studied a bit. I am a foot doctor (or at least I was until this happened.)

My surgery had nothing to do with my cervical spine. In fact, the surgery (abdominal surgery) went very well but they surmise that the anesthesiologist had me positioned incorrectly for too long a period of time. You are correct. Everybody in the medical community is "gathering the wagons," and protecting themselves. I truly am mad about this.

Please let me know how things go for you. I will be pulling for you. I wouldn't wish this on ANYBODY but I must admit that I feel some comfort in finding someone else who understands what this is about.

Kathy
kathy

surgery

Postby wendy308 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:21 pm

Hi Kathy,
Well I made it back and I am still alive. I ended up having a brachial plexus neuroplasty which is pretty much a complete thoracic outlet cleaning. It's been 4 weeks since than. I still have alot of pain. The pain shoots down my right arm and into my hand every day all day. My neck kills me most of the day too. The doctor told me to give it 3 months either way. But from what i've investigated that if it would of been successful it would of been immediatley. :cry:

My scapula isn't winging any more but that stopped a couple of months before the surgery.My blade is still messed up even though it's not winging out. It hurts too. :(

What about you make any decisions yet?? I know my story sounds dissapointing, but you have to try something. the surgeon told me that he thought the surgery was not going to make adifference but it was all i had left.
Hope all goes well with you
Wendy308
LTN injury, Winged Scapula 11-05
wendy308

insurance companies are difficult to work with

Postby Jonnie » Sat May 31, 2008 9:58 pm

I think my long thoracic nerve injury was caused by my TMJ surgery. I had no problems with my shoulder going in but immediately after the pain meds wore off I was in pain. My oral surgeon said that my shoulder pains has nothing to do with it. So, I began physical therapy that wasn't working so I was referred to an orthopedic who performed arthroscopic surgery for a torn rotary cuff. I then returned to physical therapy and still have a winging scapula and a lot of pain. I am currently under the care of a neurologist who keeps telling give it time. Unforturnately I lost too much time and I am endager of losing my job. I work law enforcement and my arm isn't strong enough to hold the gun and I certaintly can't shoot it. Dr. Nath surgery is my last hope but unfortunately my insurance won't work with him to give me in network benefits. Does anyone know if I can appeal my insurance and how would I do so? I'm on a tight time frame my boss gave me unitl 8/14/08 to show improvement. After a full year of shoulder surgery and physical therapy, I am no better than where I started. I really really appreciate some feed back. Thanks! :roll: :roll:
Jonnie

Re: Surgery-caused winging scapula

Postby flowers » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:18 pm

kathy wrote:Is there anyone else out there who has awakened from surgery, only to find that they have a radiculopathy and a winging scapula?

At what location in the back did/do you feel the radiculopathy?
Online information on: radiculopathy
flowers

problems after surgery

Postby cwill2424 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:03 pm

Kathy,

Read your post and had to reply. I had anterior/posterior surgery in 2003 and when I woke I could not lift my arm. It improved to the point where I was able to lift it. Over the next year and ahalf I had severe pain in left shoulder and could not stand to be in shower because the water hitting my shoulder blade would send me through the roof. I developed winging of the scapula and weakness along with severe pain. The more I tried to use this arm the worse it would be. Felt like I had a watermelon under the scapula. Now, I can take a shower at least with the water hitting the shoulder but still have many problems with shoulder including the severe pain. I had to leave the job I was doing and went into accounting. I can not work full time(I tried) without the pain being severe. I work 6 hours a day and that can be challenging somedays. My left side is so messed up. I have been to therapy numerous times to no avail. I had an emg but Dr. Nath said they did not test right muscles to determine nerve involvement. It being workers comp. they say this is the way I will be. My hands are tied because I want to go to someone who knows what they are doing and they wont approve it. I cant put it under my health insurance due to it being workers comp claim. I am at my wits end , it is getting worse not better and I do not know what to do,where to go and if there is anyone that can help.
cwill2424

the backlink builders

Postby Bluttysevynen » Sat May 25, 2013 9:13 pm

Optimum Future team offers you a safe, friendly and powerful SEO tool to boost your rankings! This is your best way to get qualitative and natural Links avoiding Panda & Penguin! Yes! Sites dominating the top money making keywords are using those networks! Start increasing your Affiliate Comissions, Product Sales & Adsense Income TODAY! Visit here: get high pr backlinks
Bluttysevynen

Return to General Winging Scapula / Long Thoracic Nerve Injury