C5 Rupture / C6-8, T1 Avulsion

This forum is for discussion about adults Brachial Plexus Injuries due to trauma injuries.

Moderators: TNPIModerator2, TNPIModerator1, Contact, Chicago BPI Community

Postby mxrider4524 » Fri May 16, 2008 3:41 pm

Betsy,
I am very sorry to hear about your son, like you said, it is just a traumatic injury that NoBoDy would understand unless they dealt with it. I definately recomend the CT Milogram, once its completed they give you a disk with the images they took so your son wont have to go through it again you can just share the cd. In my case it showed I had slight damage by the root of the nerve and more damage away from my spine near my shoulder. I am seeing improvement, however its slowwww! I started with no feeling or movement to my left arm at all. Now I hace feeling to my elbow, with sensation to my fingers but not a normal feeling. And I can slightly move my bicep and can visibly see growth in the tricep. My shoulder muscles are back and strong with all movement. I dont know what the KINESIOTAPING is but I do use the ESTEM (Stim Machine) on my muscles and I do notice soome improvements with tha, however I feel like Im not using it enough at therapy, I want one for home like I think you mentioned you had? If so let me know how you pulled that off!

1. My arm doesnt hurt anymore then normal when it rins or anything like that. Most pains assosciated with weather change are usually to injurys that needed rods or screws or plates in the body. My arm does tingle,nerve itch,pain that shoots into the fingers, all kinds of weird presures.
2. This injury sucks lets put it that way. I love to be on the motorcycle..love it! But since I went down all my time has been focused trying to get this arm back. I couldnt ride a motorcyle now if I wanted, my arm would fly in the air like streamers of a bicycle ha. Its sad but I need to joke to people who understand because nobody else knows the pain, the struggle that comes with this. I have addapted to things like getting dressed on my owm, opening bottles of soda or water, driving,showering, and now I can even play XBox 360 one handed and Im GoOd!
3. Im not familiar with the triangular tilt surgery? My shoulder at first was dropping from the socket because of lack of muscle, and I was in a hospital grade sling. I then moved into the ARC Shoulder brace that held me exactly where I should be and my muscle came back and now my shoulder is fine. Still atrophy, but strong enough to hold its own weight.

It was and still is vey hard to deal with. Just last night was a hard hit of reality I went and watched my boys stuntin around on their streetbikes and I was sittin on the side line filming-fun to see-but not like being on it. I hate having this I wish I would've just broke it 8447647630 times it would have been so much easier and done with Id already be on the bike again. The worst thing is not knowing...I work so hard everyday mentally and physically to get this arm back and I beg God for help, and I dont know if this is something I might hav to live with, all my work for nothing. Not a day goes by when someone doesnt say "Oh what ya do" and when I tell them motorcycle accident they say "Oh wow you going to ride again?" UHH!! I want to so badly but I just dont know! The doctor told me, my surgery had a 75% I would recover, and recover means 85% normal. Ill take 85% AnYday over this state Im in now. The first words or actions that came out of my mouth after waking up from 11 hour surgery was can I do this again on the bike-and I showed him the sign of moving my fingers to squeeze the clutch- and he told me yes without a doubt...so I pray on that...I hope all is well I apologize for the tangent I just went off on, just feels good to vent to someone who understands the struggle. :D
It's Not The Hand Your Dealt But How You Play Your Cards
Never Give up hope, Everything happens for a reason
mxrider4524

Adult Accident Induced BPI

Postby HYPR69 » Sun May 18, 2008 2:16 pm

I read through everyones posts and I can't believe how everyone's symptoms are so similar to my husband. He was in a snowmobile accident 11 years ago. He too can feel to his elbow but from his elbow to fingers he feels only sensations. Recently he went for more tests and the doctors were absolutely shocked that he still showed muscle activity and nerve growth after such a long time. I guess what I am trying to say to everyone is hold off on the amputation. That is a life long decision and like someone said the nerves do grow back just very slow.

Has anyone had Dr. Nath operate on them? I am sending all my husbands medical records to him for his evaluation to see if there is anything he can do.
HYPR69

Postby mxrider4524 » Tue May 20, 2008 6:36 am

Im with HYPER on this one, Hold off on the amputation. Its like a sign of giving up hope. Theres no chance what so ever you will ever ever get that arm back if you amputate. But keeping it still leaves you with the hope and some chance and even a miracle. Christopher Reeves walked before he died, in a pool with assistance, but he walked none the less because he never gave up every single day he fought to stay positive and kept that chance that one day it might just work close in his head. Nerve growth is sloooowww as you all know, and could be slower for others. Some of you have been dealing with this injury for longer then I have; one year on july 1, so i understand your reasoning behind such a decision. But dont quit on yourself....I read this quote everyday to remind myself that no matter what happens in life or what gets thrown my way, I could accept it and do nothing, or fight it and work hard..."Its not the hand your dealt but how you play your cards"

Stay Positive!!!
mxrider4524

A Lil Info...

Postby mxrider4524 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:42 pm

Well I stumbled across this article while researching ANY possible options for recovery..thought it was interesting. I go for surgery October 6, going to take some of my nerve in my trap(injured side that recovered) and put some of it in my bicep. While im opened up on the table im hopin the d oc can hook me up with this. If it works great, if not, im still left with a non working arm so I would be stupid not to try. By now im sure your curious as to what I keep talkin about so here is the article.

http://www.koreamed.org/SearchBasic.php?DT=1&RID=326761

Give me some feedback please!!!
mxrider4524

the backlink builders

Postby Bluttysevynen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Optimum Future team offers you a safe, friendly and powerful SEO tool to boost your rankings! This is your best way to get qualitative and natural Links avoiding Panda & Penguin! Yes! Sites dominating the top money making keywords are using those networks! Start increasing your Affiliate Comissions, Product Sales & Adsense Income TODAY! Visit here: the backlink builders
Bluttysevynen

Previous

Return to Adult Traumatic Brachial Plexus Injury